French Family Association
The Official Website of the Surname French
Chart #36, Hugh French Ist, 1636
St. MaryÕs and Charles Co., MD
Westmoreland, Prince William, Stratford, Fauquier, King George, Richmond, Culpeper, Northumberland, and Loudoun Counties, VA
Also Mason Co., KY; Pike Co., MO; Independence Co., AR; and Zaneville, OH
This chart updated by Mara French on 6/5/09. Numbers in brackets [ ] refer to the bibliography at the end of this chart. An asterisk (*) shows continuation of that line. Send any corrections or additions to this chart to email@example.com. Revisions: 1991, 1997, 2008, 2009. This revision is currently in draft format.
Children of Hugh2 and Mary (Triplett / Browne) French, 2.2
Hugh2 also cared for the two children by his wifeÕs first marriage: Mary Triplett and Francis Triplett.
3.1* Hugh3 French, b. ca. 1711  in Stafford Co., VA, mentioned in fatherÕs will in 1736, will dated 21 Oct 1737, d. 15 May 1740 (age 29 leaving two orphan children) in Stafford Co., VA, died only 4 years after this father died. He inherited his fatherÕs dwelling plantation and mill and land that his father bought from Lewis Elzey, 6 slaves, 12 head of cattle, and half the stock and hogs on the said plantation and working horses. Hugh3 m. Betty Brittingham, dau. of Nathaniel or Micajah Brittingham of Pockmote (Pocomoke, MD). Hugh died when his son Mason was 3 and his daughter Rachel was still unborn. After HughÕs death, his widow Betty m2. Capt. James Waugh on 22 Aug 1740 , he d. 9 May 1750, then she m3. Andrew Edwards on 7 May 1751 . James Waugh became the guardian of HughÕs 2 small children. On 6 Mar 1756 Betty gave birth to Nancy Edwards from her 3rd husband . Betty must have died sometime after that date. On 19 Jan 1758 Andrew Edwards m. Elizabeth Withers .
Hugh inherited a plantation on Potomac Creek, Stafford Co, VA. He gave it to unborn child Rachel. Hugh lived on Potomac Creek, Strategically situated at the tip of a peninsula jutting into the Potomac River at Potomac Creek, Marlborough was established under the Town Act of 1691 as a river port town. It served as the county seat of Stafford County from 1691 until about 1718. Marlborough never fully developed. In 1726, noted lawyer John Mercer (1705-1768), who m. Catherine Mason, moved there and built Marlborough plantation and attempted to revive the town. Mercer had one of the largest private libraries in Virginia, in which the young George Mason received much of his education. MercerÕs attempt to revive the town was unsuccessful and it ceased to exist by the end of the 18th century., Stafford Co., VA. Stafford County formed from Westmoreland Co. in 1664.
Notes from the Journal of John Mercer, 1704-1768, Va. Genealogist 4, p. 107: Capt. John Waugh, who died 1750 and a neighbor of MercerÕs on Potomac Creek, Marlborough, Stafford Co., Va., left a widow, Betty French, whom he married in 1740. She was the daughter of Nathaniel Brittingham of Accomac Co. and widow of Hugh French, Jr..
3.2 Daniel French, b. ca. 1715, d. 1748, mentioned in his fatherÕs will. Daniel was known as Daniel French, the elder, to distinguish him from his cousin Daniel French of Rose Hill. Daniel m1. Elizabeth Sanford, dau. of Richard Sanford and Susannah Franklin. They never had children. In his fatherÕs will, he received half of the land his father had bought from Mr. Brent, plus 200 acres of land lying in King George County, 5 cows and calves, a feather bed and furniture, 5 hogs and 5 large shoats and 5 slaves and a mill. Daniel died without issue, and did not mention his sister Elizabeth in his will of 1749 in Fairfax Co., VA, but he named his sister Margaret Hansborough. When his brother Mason predeceased him, Daniel received the other half of his fatherÕs inheritance. In DanielÕs will of 16 Oct 1748 he left his estate to his wife and then to Godson Daniel Sanford, his sister Margaret Hansborough and Edward Sanford. In 1782 they sold to Josiah Watson of Alexandria. Robert Sanford's 197-acre tract became the property of his eldest son Richard, who also sold to Josiah Watson, in 1794. Richard Sanford lived on his 206-acre tract until his death in 1799. This tract then passed to Presley Sanford, his youngest son, who sold in 1806 to James Hewett Hooe . After Daniel died, his wife Elizabeth m2. Presley Cox. Will of Daniel French, 16 May 1749.
3.3 Elizabeth French, b. before 1722 because she was of age to marry (at least 14) in 1736 when her father died, and was not given a guardian as Margaret and Ann were. Elizabeth is mentioned in her fatherÕs will as receiving 4 slaves, a feather bed and furniture, 3 cows and calves, and to her heirs, a horse named Donovan. She died between Jun 1746 and 1749. In 1736 and again in 1746 she was not married, and perhaps never married.
3.4 Mason French, b. after 1718 because he was a minor in 1736 when his father died. Mason is mentioned in his fatherÕs will as receiving the other half of what his brother Daniel received. He d. before in 1742, at St. PaulÕs Parish, Stafford Co., VA., the year when his brother Daniel sold MasonÕs share of land bequeath him in his fatherÕs will. In other words, Daniel inherited the other half of his fatherÕs estate. This also proves that there were no heirs.
3.5 Margaret French, b. after 1722 (14 years old is the age when a child could name their own guardian). She was probably born in 1724. Margaret is mentioned in her fatherÕs will of 1736 while not of age, m. Captain William Hansborough, son of Peter and Margaret Hansborough on 26 Feb 1745 , yet in her brother DanielÕs will, his name was spelled ÒHansberyÓ. In her fatherÕs will, she received 3 slaves, a feather bed and furniture, and 3 cows and calves. Her father also mentioned in his will that he wanted Margaret to be cared for by Mrs. (Mary Ball) Washington, the wife of Capt. Augustine Washington and the mother of President George Washington, until she is of age or married. Margaret and William had 3 children: William b. 4 Aug 1747; Margaret (Peggy); and Peter b. ca. 1750 just before his motherÕs death. She d. ca. 1751 in Stafford Co., VA, at which time Peter Hansborough m2. Lydia Smith in 1752. See Hansborough Family genealogy.
3.6 Ann French, b. after 1722 (14 years old is the age when a child could name their own guardian). Ann is mentioned in her fatherÕs will. Ann had a mulatto son who was named Mason French in Overwharton Parish. He was born by 1745 and old enough to have children or grandchildren in Kentucky by 1788 . In her fatherÕs will, she received 3 slaves, a feather bed and furniture, and 3 cows and calves. Her father also mentioned in his will that he wanted Ann to be cared for by Capt. HedgmanÕs (Hansborough) wife until she is of age or married. Ann probably d. before 1749. See Hansborough Family genealogy.
Children of Daniel and Elizabeth (Peyton) French, 2.3
3.7* Daniel French, b. 1723 in King George Co., VA . He was 13 years old when his father died who bequeathed to him all his real estate and personal belongings in Prince William Co. which today is Fairfax Co. . DanielÕs uncle, Hugh, was not appointed guardian, but James Strother was appointed guardian of orphan Daniel French. Daniel d. 25 May 1771 in Fairfax County, VA, and was buried first at Rose Hill, but then his remains and tombstone were moved to the Pohick Church Cemetery in Fairfax County, VA, in the early 1900s when the Rose Hill tract was being developed. His will executed 19 May 1772  by George Mason. His daughter and only child, Elizabeth, is credited with composing the inscription below.
Daniel m. Rose Hill and Claremont (or Clermont) in Fairfax County. This Daniel is often referred to as the Daniel of Rose Hill so as not to confuse him with his cousin, Daniel French the Elder. Rose Hill was 5 miles South of Alexandria, VA in the neighborhood of Mount Eagle, home of Lord Fairfax and of "Hayfield" which belonged to one of the Washington families. The Rose Hill House is described as Òbeautiful, the woodwork very fine, especially the Chippendale cupboard built in a corner of the drawing room. The chimney was six feet thick, which made later heating very difficult. The mantels in the first floor rooms were very fine, as were the egg and dart moldings on frieze of the first floor cornices.Ó, dau. of John Manley, between 1744-1756. Their first and only child was born in 1757, Elizabeth. They lived on
The house was the site of a raid by Confederate Major John S. Mosby on 28 Sep 1863. On that occasion Daniel French Dulany, one of MosbyÕs Rangers (Confederates), captured his own father, Col. Daniel F. Dulany, who remained loyal to the Union. Mosby and his men went to the residence of Colonel D. F. Dulany, PierpontÕs military aid. Dulany, believing the party to be Federal scouts disguised in Confederate uniforms, welcomed them until he recognized his son who rode with Mosby. As they were preparing to leave, the disgruntled father told his son that he should take a pair of old shoes with him as the colonel reckoned shoes Òwere d____d scarce in the Confederacy.Ó French lifting his trouser leg, revealed to his father a fine pair of cavalry boots taken from a sutler and asked his captive Òwhat he thought of thatÓ. Who was Daniel French Dulany? Daniel FrenchÕs daughter, Elizabeth French, married Benjamin Tasker Dulany of Old Welbourne, Generation 4. Daniel French Dulany was a descendant of that family.
Daniel FrenchÕs name is mentioned several times in George WashingtonÕs diary, mostly concerning DanielÕs sale of pork (hogs) to him, which is described in detail in Margaret AmundsonÕs book.
Clermont was owned
in the 18th century by the French and Dulany families. Clermont was the
300-acre estate of Daniel French, located on a hilly site in Fairfax Co., VA,
along the south bank of Cameron Run and overlooking the town of Alexandria 2
½ miles away to the east. Elizabeth French Dulany inherited the property
from her father in 1771, and she and husband Benjamin Tasker Dulany lived there
and ran the farm from the time of their 1773 marriage until moving to nearby
ShuterÕs Hill in 1799. See book,
Ref . Clermont was later owned by Gen. John Mason, youngest son of George
Mason of Gunston. After his death the plantation was purchased by Capt. French
Forrest, USN, who became a Commodore in the Confederate Navy. The farm was
confiscated as enemy property in the Civil War, and the dwelling used as a
small pox hospital. It burned in 1865 while Union troops were decontaminating
the structure. Formerly it was located just inside the Beltway on Clermont
Drive. See website:
http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Franconia/Franconia_Main.html. Advertisements for this sale and ones of the 1840s and 1850s provide detailed descriptions of the property.
About a third of it was woodlot, and seven spring-fed fields occupied 160 acres of bottomland along Cameron Run and 40 acres of high ground. The outbuildings were numerous, and a Òcedar hedgeÓ bounded a five-acre garden and orchard adjacent to the commodious main house. During the Civil War in July 1861, the estate became the campground of a brigade, and the Clermont house was ransacked and converted into a brigade hospital when the units returned from defeat at the Battle of Bull Run.
Rose Hill was the home
of Daniel French, Jr. builder of Pohick Church until his death in 1771. His
tombstone, formerly on his front lawn, is now at Pohick Church. The house was
named for the rose bushes planted on the three terraces before his house. In
1846 the plantation was owned by Maynadier Mason, the grandson of George Mason.
The original house, located at 6412 May Boulevard, burned in 1895. See website:
Daniel had by far the most slaves of all French men in Virginia -- 60 slaves in 1760, only second to George Washington . His wife leased some to George Washington to work the land Washington bought from her . In his will, Daniel gave freedom to two mulattos named Nan and Dick. These may have been his children. Or Nan could have been the mother and Dick her son by Daniel French. There is nothing further on him in Daniel FrenchÕs estate papers . DanielÕs wife, Penelope, leased some slaves to George Washington to work the land Washington bought from her .
Daniel gave the grounds and helped build History of Truro Parish, and search for ÒDaniel FrenchÓ., built between 1769 and 1774, but he died in 1771 before it was finished. Details of the church construction are given in Margaret AmundsonÕs book. One of the box pews has DanielÕs name on it as being a vestryman. George Washington also had a box pew in this church. The site was chosen in 1767 and the churchyard was laid out in 1769, at a Vestry held on the grounds. The land measured 3 acres and 26 perches and was bought at the rate of a Guinea an acre. The deed was made by Daniel French of Rose Hill, who had already signed the Articles of Agreement to build the church. See Notes on the
Daniel French and Townshend Dade were appointed inspectors of tobacco at the falls of the Potomac, 6 May 1743 . Daniel owned land along the Potomac just west of PoseyÕs Ferry, not far from Mount Vernon, VA. In the 1700s, Daniel French purchased the land on which The Anchorage (or Catesby – perhaps named after Catesby Cocke, who was the former landowner of land that Daniel had bought – 580 acres in 1757) was built in Loudoun County  (see will of Daniel French of Rose Hill.). In total, Daniel bought from various areas over 3,000 acres of land which is outlined in Margaret AmundsonÕs book. Daniel also managed at least 4 farms in Fairfax Co., 3 in Loudoun Co., and 2 in Prince William Co. See the
At 48 years old when Daniel died, his fortune went to his wife, his only child Elizabeth, and to his friends. His mansion house and Dogue Creek quarter was valued at £2317.16.7. The inventory of his Pohick Run quarter and the new church in the town of Colchester in Fairfax Co., was valued at £1525.10.6. The inventory of his quarter near Falls Church was valued at £959.11.6. The property in Loudoun County was valued at £1353.13.3. The Prince William County property totaled £302.3. The total worth of DanielÕs personal estate was £6963.19.10. This did not include the value of real estate. Details of his worth are in Margaret AmundsonÕs book. Daniel freed two mulatto slaves at his death, a lad called Dick and a woman named Nan. It is possible that these were children of DanielÕs by a slave.
This map is an extract from ÒAn Interpretive Historical MapÓ prepared by Beth Mitchell and published in 1978. The map is actually of Fairfax County in 1760 and shows all of the property owners at that time. The book published with the map gives land ownership, leaseholders and tenants, slaveholdings (and non-slave owners), roads, bridges, churches, tobacco inspection warehouses, courthouse, mills, ordinaries, and ferries. Daniel French Jr. and George Washington were two of the largest slave owners
A portion of the map showing the Rose Hill area outlines the
property boundaries of original owners of Rose Hill and nearby
communities, including Daniel French owner of the original Rose Hill
Farm. It is interesting to note that what is now South Kings Highway was
the property boundary between Daniel French and Sarah Brook. See website:
3.8 Margaret French, b. after 1715 in King George County, VA, m. James Lawrence Strother of Culpeper Co. Strother is a prominent name in this county. James lived and married in King George Co., VA, d. 1761 in Culpeper Co., VA, the son of Jeremiah ÒJeremyÓ Strother and Eleanor Savage . Margaret is mentioned in her fatherÕs will of 1735. They had four children: French, James, Jane, and Mary who m. George Gray of Stafford Co . In Culpeper county there is a deed dated 2 Jul 1760 which recites that Daniel French, then of Fairfax Co., and Margaret French, late wife of James Strother, were children of Daniel French, late of King George Co., who gave some slaves to his said daughter Margaret in his will, of which he made his brother Hugh French executor. The deed also states that Jane Strother, of Culpeper, French Strother, and Mary Gray, wife of George Gray, were children of the said James Strother and Margaret his wife, late Margaret French, deceased, sister of Daniel French, party to the deed .
Tender and Payment lists were kept. Tender comes from the word ÒTendÓ or Òto tend toÓ or make a formal written offer to carry out work, supply goods, or buy land, shares, or another asset for a stated fixed price. Tobacco was in full supply in Virginia at that time, and was an acceptable legal tender in many of the Southern colonies. Virginia farmers became the exclusive suppliers of tobacco to a large English and Irish market during the 1600s. Every acre of land was devoted to growing tobacco to the neglect of other crops, thus dooming the emerging colonies to a single crop economy dependent on slave labor.
Children of Mason and Unknown French, 2.4
From this family, only Hugh French and his half brother John were the only descendants to have descendants carrying the name to the present generation .
3.9* Hugh French, b. ca. 1715 in VA  in Lunenburg Parish, Virginia, d. ca. 1770/71  in Prince William County, m. 1736 to Margaret Jarvis (or Gervase), heir of Daniel Field, who was b. 28 Oct 1720 in Westmoreland Co., VA . Hugh is listed on the 1746 Rent Rolls of Lunenburg Parish. Hugh was a half brother to John (born to HughÕs fatherÕs second wife below). Mentioned in his fatherÕs will. Sold Land on PopeÕs Creek, Westmoreland Co., to Daniel McCarty 16 Mar 1743 . Another record says Daniel McCarty bought the land on 1 Oct 1728 . This land is across the Creek from the birth home of George Washington and shown on various tourist maps as belonging to Daniel McCarty. Margaret was b. 28 Oct 1720, illegitimate dau. of Daniel Field of PopeÕs Creek Plantation, Washington Parish, Westmoreland Co., VA  (per Will of Daniel Field, 2 Sept 1732/3, Westmoreland Co. Wills & Deeds, Vol. 8, p. 200). Daniel was the eldest son of Daniel Field of Washington Parish who died between April and June 1720 (Will of Daniel Field, 17 Apr 1720, Westmoreland Co. Wills & Deeds, Vol . 7, p. 6). Daniel was the son of Abraham Field who received the land grant 18 Mar 1662 for the land at the head of PopeÕs Creek (Westmoreland Co. Wills & Deeds, Vol. 2, pp. 45-46 & 74-75). Westmoreland Co., VA, Wills and Deeds, Vol. 9, pp. 289-292: Hugh French & wife, Margaret Gervise, daughter of Daniel Field, of Richmond County, Va. sold land on PopeÕs Creek, Westmoreland Co. to Daniel McCarty 16 Mar 1743. On 25 Apr 1767 the deed between Hugh French of parish Hanover, King George County, and Moore Fauntleroy of parish Lunenburg, County of Richmond, was witnessed by Benjamin Drake.
Margaret JarvisÕ mother, Mary, had married Daniel Field, Jr., after MargaretÕs father died . Margaret was a legatee of Daniel Field who, besides being her step-father, may have been MargaretÕs fatherÕs cousin . MargaretÕs father, who seems to have died fairly young, might be the elder son, James Jarvis (s/o John Jarvis and Elizabeth Field), who predeceased his father . John Jarvis is said to have died in 1733 in Westmoreland Co., VA .
3.10 Robert French, b. ca. 1717, was a half brother to John , m. Mary Mosley Rennolds in 1737, widow of Thomas Rennolds , who d. in 1735 and whose estate was valued at £145 in the 1735 inventory .of Essex County, being very sick and weak of body, dated 3 Oct 1743 , Essex Co., VA. Robert died at age ca. 26, and his inventory was valued at £283.11.1 on 17 Jan 1743, considerably more than his father MasonÕs estate was worth when it was appraised 3 years later. Robert had no issue. In his will, he names his brother Hugh and sister Margaret, plus nephews Daniel and James, sons of Hugh his brother . At the time of RobertÕs death, he was worth £283. Mary was the dau. of Benjamin and Elizabeth Moseley. At MaryÕs death, she owned 300 acres of land. Mary m3. Robert Edmondson, but had no children by her 3 husbands. Her estate went to William Moseley.
Children of Mason and Catherine Bennett (Ellis) French, 2.4
3.11 Mason French, b. after 1718. Mentioned in fatherÕs will, d. 12 Apr 1752 in Stafford Co., VA, m. Margaret Johnson Lacy on 16 Apr 1749  and died 3 years later. She was the widow of Thomas Lacy of St. PaulÕs Parish, Stafford Co., VA, which was built 1766. Thomas had m. Margaret on 30 Apr 1726, indicating she was a lot older than Mason. Thomas and Margaret had 3 children. Mason and Margaret had no issue. Margaret received all MasonÕs estate when he died, appraised at £72.7.1. Margaret witnessed her brother-in-law (Daniel)Õs will in 1756, after Mason had died in 1752.
3.12 Daniel French, b. after 1718, d. 9 Mar 1756 in Stafford Co., VA . Mentioned in fatherÕs will. Daniel left everything in his will to his mother, Catherine. Unmarried.
3.13 Margaret French, b. before 1727, m1. 18 Mar 1752  to Originall Bowling at St. PaulÕs Parish in Stafford Co. Margaret and Originall had dau. Catherine Bowling, and after Originall died, MargaretÕs brother John was made guardian to daughter Catherine. This following information is said to be incorrect and can be verified by Michael Burgess, librarian of Cal State University in San Bernardino, CA: Margaret m2 (as his 2nd wife) Moses Burgess, son of Edward and Margaret (Garner) Burgess. They had daughters Mildred, and Lucy Burgess. After Margaret died, Moses m. Elizabeth Price and had children Sarah, Nancy, John, and Edward Burgess. Margaret had no issue . Margaret was named in the will of her half brother, Robert French, probated in Essex County, VA .
3.14* John French, half brother of Hugh and Robert, b. ca. 1725-1730 in Stafford Co., VA, d. 26 Oct 1806 in Fauquier Co, VA . John m.in Saint PaulÕs Parish, Stafford Co., VA . King George Co. and Stafford Co. were part of Fauquier Co. at one time. Margaret was b. ca. 1730-1732 in King George Co., VA, the dau. of Edward Burgess and Margaret Fewell. She d. 24 Oct 1806 in Fauquier Co., VA . John is listed as a bondsman for the marriage of his daughter, Sarah, in 1794. He is also listed as a bondsman for the marriage of his daughter, Margaret, in 1790 . John was administrator of his motherÕs estate in 1759 . John is mentioned as a voter in the Stafford Co. election of 1758, and Margaret may be mentioned in the will of Henry Bussy in Stafford Co. on 16 Apr. 1764 (a will which is witnessed by Edward Burgess Jr.). By 1760 the Frenches had moved to Loudoun Co., VA, when John French is listed on the tax rolls; John bought 180 acres in Fauquier Co., VA in 1768 from William and Martha Pearle (Deed Book #3, p. 338-39), and is listed there on the tax rolls from 1782. By inference she is living in 1783, but died before her husband.