French Family Association
The Official Website of the Surname French
County Marriage, Church, Deed,
and Court Records in England
for the Surname French
French Charity Samuel Miller 08 Mar 1791
French Elizabeth John Silvester 03 Nov 1738
French Elizabeth Samuel Cox 23 Nov 1752
French Elizabeth Joseph Mordle 24 Nov 1811
French James Hannah Scriven 10 May 1761
French James Elizabeth Harman 25 May 1795
French Jane John Bussell 30 May 1768
French Jane Andrew Taylor, East Coker 03 Apr 1770
French Joan James Poole 07 Feb 1757
French John Joan Escot 12 Feb 1738
French John Mary Bath 15 Sep 1761
French Mary Thomas Taylor 14 Nov 1790
French Richard Margaret Morrice 25 Mar 1736
French Samuel Mary Vallence 22 Sep 1806
The benefice was sequestered in 1644 for Peter French, a puritan minister whose wife was Cromwell's sister Robina, and Manby's family was eventually expelled from Cottenham. (fn. 11) French was still incumbent in 1650 (fn. 12) and perhaps until his death in 1655; from 1656 to 1658 his successor attended the Presbyterian classis in Cambridge. (fn. 13)
The property sold by Richard Andrews to Henry VIII in 1541 also included a farm known as BELSON'S said to comprise a house, 200 a. of arable, 30 a. of pasture, and 24 a. of meadow. The arable seems in reality to have been about half that amount. The farm passed for long with the manor house, and in 1606 was held by John Pollard. (fn. 19) By 1625 it was in the tenure of Michael Harris, (fn. 20) and it was subsequently bought by him or by his heirs, for in 1687 it was sold by Francis Harris to Robert French of South Newington. Robert died in the same year, devising the estate to his younger sons Robert and Thomas. Thomas died while still a minor, and after a prolonged family dispute his moiety passed in 1711 to his brother William's son Robert (d. by 1735), whose wife Joanna (d. 1740) ordered that it be sold. No sale, however, was made and in 1773 the moiety was settled on her granddaughters Sarah, wife of George Coles, and Hannah, wife of Thomas Whetton, and on William Coles, widower of Elizabeth, a third granddaughter. In 1775 Jonathan Ordway the younger, presumably Joanna's grandson, bought the shares of Hannah and William, selling them in 1779 to George Spencer, duke of Marlborough. The other sixth was bought by the duke in 1795 from Sarah's and George's son William.
Robert French's moiety passed on his death in 1730 to his son Robert, who by will dated 1764 devised it to Mary Matthews and Sarah and Susannah Short. Sarah and Mary sold their shares to the duke in 1778; Susannah had died by 1797, when her husband Anthony Watts and their children Thomas and Susannah sold her share to the duke.
In 1769 the entire estate, tenanted by William Horne, was said to comprise two houses, two cottages, and 310 a. in Combe, Wootton, and South Newington. The principal house, Belson's, may have been that which stood east of Middle Farm, at the junction of the Stonesfield road with that from the village centre. The house, apparently still standing in 1806, had gone by 1863. (fn. 21)
In 1491 Nicholas French granted to William Pilfold lands in Rusper called HIGHAMS comprising 104 a. John Pilfold sold them to his son William in 1557, and in 1580 Richard Pilfold devised them to his son-in-law John Ingram, with remainder to John Pilfold. In 1581 the latter sold them to (Sir) Richard Cowper, who shortly before 1619 sold them to Nicholas Jordan, who sold them in that year to Anthony Board. In 1636 Herbert Board owned land in Rusper apparently including Highams. In 1688 John Board settled the farm on his son and namesake, presumably the John Board who in 1727 sold it to the trustees of John Bean's charity at Dorking (Surr.); it then comprised 128 a. From the mid 19th century the farm was let by the trustees to members of the Hurst family, who sublet it, and in 1934 they sold the freehold to Sir Cecil Hurst. (fn. 50) Mr. J. A. Kitchen owned it in 1981. (fn. 51) The house is 17thcentury or earlier, with a 19th-century porch.
The next rector, Philip French (1625-75), lived on his other living of Chesterton and seems to have left Shipton-on-Cherwell to curates. (fn. 33) His successor, Stephen Pomfret (1675-1718) served the church as curate in 1673; he lived in the parish, and in 1685 the only criticism of the church was that it lacked a bible. (fn. 34)
Message from H. C. with Bills, House of Lords Journal, Volume 17, 22 May 1702.
A Message from the House of Commons, by Sir Henry Dutton Colt and others: Who brought up Three Bills;
The First, intituled, "An Act for making more effectual the Provision out of the forfeited Estates in Ireland, for the building of Churches, and augmenting small Vicarages, in Ireland."
The Second, intituled, "An Act for enlarging the Time for John Hill Esquire and his Wife to enter their Claims before the Trustees for Sale of the forfeited Estates in Ireland, with relation to a Judgement against Robert Grace; and for the Relief of the Creditors of John Grace, and the Widow, Protestant Children, and Creditors, of the late Sir Patrick Trant, with relation to the said forfeited Estates; and for indemnifying the Earl of Carlingford, touching Mortgage-money by him owing to the said late Sir Patrick Trant."
The Third, intituled, "An Act for exempting and discharging of Arthur French and Sarah his Wife, from accompting to the Trustees for the forfeited Estates in Ireland, for the Personal Estates of Iricl Farrell, deceased."
To which said Three several Bills they desire the Concurrence of this House.
French's Bill. Hodie 1a vice lecta est Billa, intituled, "An Act for exempting and discharging of Arthur French and Sarah his Wife from accompting to the Trustees for the forfeited Estates in Ireland, for the Personal Estate of Iriell Farrell, deceased."
SYDENHAM, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Lewisham, hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 8½ miles (S. S. E.) from London; containing 2915 inhabitants. This place, which previously consisted only of a few scattered dwellings, was brought into notice by the discovery, in 1640, of a saline chalybeate spring, whose waters, similar in their properties to those of Epsom, made it the occasional resort of invalids. The wells have fallen almost into disuse, but the salubrity of the air, the pleasantness of its situation, and its proximity to the metropolis, have made Sydenham the permanent residence of numerous families of respectability, who have erected handsome seats and villas in its vicinity. The upper part of the common commands extensive and richly-varied prospects, and the surrounding scenery possesses much beauty; agreeable walks may be had, and the adjoining woods are frequented by parties from the metropolis on pleasure excursions. The London and Croydon railway intersects the chapelry, where a station has been established. A fair, chiefly for pleasure, is held on Trinity Monday. The proprietary episcopal chapel here, of which the Rev. P. A. French appoints the minister, was originally a meeting-house, where Dr. John Williams, author of a Greek Concordance, officiated for many years. The district church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was erected in 1831, at an expense of £9485, and is a handsome structure of Suffolk brick, ornamented with stone, in the later English style: it contains 1000 sittings, of which 500 are free; the nave is lighted by clerestory windows, and separated from the aisles by lofty piers and arches of graceful elevation. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £240; patron, the Vicar of Lewisham. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
The reputed manor of KINGSFOLD in the north part of the parish was held of Denne. (fn. 40) It evidently originated in lands in Warnham and Rusper held by members of the Kingsfold family in the Middle Ages: Robert (fl. c. 1250), Simon (fl. 1296-1305), his son John (fl. 1305), and the same or another John (fl. 1327- c. 1380). (fn. 41) In 1410 Edward at Hale quitclaimed to John Warnecamp and his wife Isabel lands at Kingsfold formerly of John Kingsfold. (fn. 42) The estate was apparently resumed by the lord of Denne, for at William Barttelot's death c. 1482 land at Kingsfold was divided between his five sisters and coheirs, one of whom, Isabel, married Thomas March. (fn. 43) In 1576 John March and John Fuller were dealing with Kingsfold manor, first so called. (fn. 44) John Fuller's son James, described as of Rusper, had succeeded his father by 1607, and in the following year sold Kingsfold to Nicholas Jordan and Henry Gorringe, who in turn sold it in 1609 to Richard French, also of Rusper. (fn. 45) In 1620 French conveyed it to John Manning, a London skinner, whose son John died in 1633 seised of the reversion after his mother's death. The younger John's heirs were his two sisters, Anne, wife of Thomas Lawley, and Elizabeth, wife of Robert Caesar. (fn. 46) Thomas Lawley (created Bt. 1641) was succeeded in a moiety of the manor in 1646 by his son Francis, (fn. 47) who in 1684 bought the other moiety from Francis Coventry, son of Elizabeth Caesar by a later marriage. (fn. 48) At his death in 1696 Sir Francis Lawley left Kingsfold to his younger son Richard, (fn. 49) who lived on the property. In 1720 Richard conveyed the manor to John Webster of London, (fn. 50) who in turn sold it in 1723 to Edmund Blunkett (d. 1731× 1733). Blunkett's daughter Elizabeth married Edmund Smith, and they were succeeded before 1794 by their son William, of Horsham Park. In 1794 the estate comprised 372 a. (fn. 51) William Smith (d. 1798) was succeeded by his son Edmund, (fn. 52) who apparently sold it to the duke of Norfolk in 1801. (fn. 53) From the Norfolk estate it passed by sale in 1838 or 1839 to Robert Hurst, also of Horsham Park. (fn. 54) Thereafter it descended in the Hurst family until 1979 when it was sold. (fn. 55)
Abbey Inn. The present Abbey inn, converted from the former monastic infirmary, forms a broad U-shaped building, running north-south along the bank of the Fleet. The north wing, which dates from the 14th century, has a large window opening at its east end, originally filled with reticulated tracery and probably intended to light a first-floor chapel. There was formerly a structure with a vaulted undercroft (for which springers remain) on the north side of the wing. The hall range, which had a large chimneystack at the north end of the east wall, retains an arch-braced double purlin roof dated c. 1445-70. (fn. 9)
First recorded as the Abbey in 1818, it was then occupied by an attorney, Samuel Lowe. (fn. 10) Between 1825 and 1839 it was the home of Peter French, the minister at Holy Trinity church, (fn. 11) who may have been responsible for the square bay window which existed by 1839 on the east side at the north end of the main block. (fn. 12) The occupier in 1851 was Robert Thornewill, the son of a Burton ironmaster, Thomas Thornewill of Dove Cliff, in Stretton. (fn. 1) Alterations made to the house by Robert, and described as 'fanciful' by Lord Anglesey's agent, (fn. 2) included a turret, tall chimney stacks, and black and white mock timber-framing to the west and east fronts; the exterior was decorated on the west side with a statue and medallions depicting a Burton abbey seal, a theme continued in wood panelling in the main reception room. (fn. 3) Thornewill died in 1858, and in the 1860s the house was occupied by a brewer, James Finlay. (fn. 4) By 1871, however, Thornewill's widow and son, also Robert, were living there and they continued to do so until the later 1880s. (fn. 5)
11 H. A. Birks, Life and Corresp. of Thos. Valpy French (1895), i. 1, 4.
The so-called manor of FRENCHES in Worplesdon originated perhaps in the 2 hides and a virgate held separately by two knights in Domesday. It certainly is represented by the knight's fee held there by Richard le French in 1349. (fn. 55) In 1402 John French, presumably a descendant of Richard, released the manor of Frenches to Robert Oyldesborough, brewer, of London. (fn. 56) In 1465 Robert Wintershull, son of John, granted the manor of Frenches to trustees in use for himself and his heirs. (fn. 57) In 1477 Thomas Wintershull died seised of Frenches, (fn. 58) and it is mentioned among the lands of Robert Wintershull at his death in 1547. (fn. 59) John Wintershull his son died in 1549 seised of Frenches. In 1570 John Wintershull his son parted with Frenches to William Hamonde of Guildford, (fn. 60) probably for the purposes of a settlement, as William Wintershull his son appears in possession later. In 1598 William Wintershull conveyed to Robert Russell. (fn. 61) The subsequent history of Frenches is lost, (fn. 62) but it is probably represented by Russell Place Farm. Anthony Russell was living in Worplesdon when Symmes wrote, about 1676. (fn. 63)
In 1328 orders were sent to William de Langeford, the keeper, to repair the water-mills, broken down by floods, (fn. 40) and in the following year there were again expenses for the repair of houses, mills, walls and ponds. (fn. 41) At this date the king granted to his watchman, John de Hardyng, for his long service, a messuage, 30 acres of land, 1 acre of meadow and 3½ acres of woodland, worth 21s. yearly, out of the manorial estate, at a rent of 6s. per annum, (fn. 42) while a previous grant of £10 per annum made out of the manor by the Earl of Lancaster to Michael le Armerer was confirmed. (fn. 43) In January 1331 the king granted the manor to Queen Isabella, (fn. 44) it being among the lands assigned to her on the surrender of her dower after the death of Mortimer; but in February following it was granted for life to Alice widow of the late Earl of Lancaster and wife of Ebulo Lestrange, (fn. 45) and in 1334 the grant was enlarged to cover the term of Ebulo's life, (fn. 46) the reversion after his death being granted in 1335 to William Lord Montagu (created Earl of Salisbury in 1337), (fn. 47) one of the king's chief supporters and the instrument of Mortimer's capture. Lestrange died a few months later, (fn. 48) and his widow, who survived until 1348, apparently quitclaimed her life interest in the manor, as the earl seems at once to have entered into possession of it, securing his title by a quitclaim from Sir Hugh son of Hugh le Despenser the younger. (fn. 49) 49 Cal. Pat. 1334–8, p. 464. Hugh was the son-in-law of the Earl of Salisbury. A certain Hugh de Freyne and Alice his wife appear to have had some right in the manor which they quitclaimed to the Earl of Salisbury in 1336 (Feet of F. Berks. Trin. 10 Edw. III, no. 3).
Hackney Petty Sessions Book, 1731 (nos 362-436) 397. Ordered That Mary Pegram aged 13 years a poor Child of this Parish be bound apprentice to Joseph French of the parish of St. Mary at Newington in the County of Surry pin maker for the usual Term and that Mr. Thomas Wood the Churchwarden do pay to him the sume of forty shillings with her. [See 416]. 416. Allowed an Indenture of apprenticeshipp whereby Mary Pegram aged thirteen years a Poor Child of this parish was bound to Joseph French of the Parish of St. Mary Newington in the County of Surry Pinn Maker. [See 397].
Mitcham Green is famous as one of the great centres of cricket in its earlier days, and good matches are still played there. Several of the distinguished Surrey players were Mitcham men. Tom Richardson was the last of great fame. A fair is held at Mitcham every year from 12 to 14 August.
The main direction of the old village is north-east and south-west along the main road from London to Sutton. There are two distinct parts of it, Upper Mitcham and Lower Mitcham. On the east it is bounded by the common, which stretches away on that side to Croydon and on the north to Streatham, while at the southern extremity of the settlement the Sutton road crosses the Wandle, where, on the east side of the bridge, the old mill still remains. Both Upper and Lower Mitcham have greens, the green of Lower Mitcham being divided by the road into Lower Green East and Lower Green West. The present Ravensbury Park, partly in Mitcham and partly in Morden, used to be called Mitcham Grove. It was bought by Lord Clive and presented by him to Alexander Wedderburn (Lord Loughborough) in acknowledgement of his defence of Lord Clive before the House of Commons. Wedderburn sold it to Mr. Henry Hoare. It is now the seat of Mrs. George Gibb. Gorringe Park used to be called Biggin Grove, and was occupied by Mr. John Manship in 1789 when lord of the manor of Tamworth and Biggin. It is now the seat of Mr. P. C. T. Lipshytz. Baron House (more correctly Barron House), on the left-hand side of the road leading from Mitcham station, now the seat of Mr. J. Boobbyer, belonged to a Mr. Barron, after whom it is called. Mitcham Hall, on the opposite side of the road, a large 18th-century house with extensive grounds, now the seat of Mr. Sidney Gedge, belonged in the 18th century to a Mr. Andrew French. Cranmers, which stands opposite Canons, is the seat of Mr. J. E. Peat. It is a house of the late 18th century, named from the Cranmer family, who owned the manor and claimed descent from Thomas Cranmer, son of the archbishop, who was restored in blood in 1563, his father having been attainted before he was burned. The alleged residence of the archbishop at Mitcham is not supported by evidence.
STRETTON, a township, in the parish and union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2½ miles (N.) from Burton; containing 410 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the river Dove, and on the east by the Trent. An aqueduct of 23 arches conveys the Trent and Mersey canal across the valley. The Clay-Mill ironworks here have been established more than a century A chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected and endowed in 1829, through the exertions of the Rev. Peter French, incumbent of Trinity church, Burton.
House of Lords Journal Volume 17, 25 May 1702. "42. An Act for exempting and discharging Arthur French and Sarah his Wife, from accounting to the Trustees for the forfeited Estates in Ireland, for the Personal Estate of Iriell Farrell deceased."
An imposing marble monument in the south chapel is to Griffith Davies, M.D. (d. 1722), and his wife. A large undated monument by R. Hayward filling the west end of the south aisle and portraying the life-size figures of the Revd. Slaughter Clarke (1738– 65) and his widow was erected by the latter in 1772. (fn. 76) Other memorials in the church include a tablet to the Revd. William French Major (d. 1842) by T. Yates of Market Harborough. Stained glass in the chancel east window (1858) is in memory of Thomas and Isabel Lovell; other windows commemorate the Revd. T. James (d. 1863), his wife (d. 1860), and the Revd. T. Ellis Everett (d. 1890).
Under the management of George French, alias 'Count Bolo', a notorious swindler, it is said to have attracted criminal and riotous elements in uncomfortable numbers, (fn. 73) and it was eventually condemned by the Jockey Club. (fn. 74)
In 1757 Sarah French, the daughter of Thomas French of Old Stratford, successfully applied for a lease of the tolls for 21 years at £25 a year, (fn. 88) and this sum appears in the estate rentals (under Potterspury) for most of the 18th century. (fn. 89) In the 1830s Sarah Webb was being paid about £5 a year to keep the toll at Old Stratford, until it was discontinued at Lady Day 1837. (fn. 90)
John Furnice paid rates on the Falcon in 1739, presumably as tenant. (fn. 4) Forfett died in 1761, leaving the Falcon to his daughter Frances, the wife of Isaac Riviere, a London goldsmith, who sold the property (on which two new houses had been built to replace those burnt down) the following year to Christopher French and John Hall, also of London, for £60. (fn. 5) In 1773 French and Hall sold the premises to Matthew Willison of Old Stratford for £150. His family retained the Falcon until about 1820, (fn. 6) after which it belonged to Josiah Michael Smith. (fn. 7) The inn was later acquired by the Kendalls of Dovehouse Farm, Deanshanger, and was sold with the rest of their estate in 1877. (fn. 8) It closed shortly before the First World War (fn. 9) and by 1925 the buildings had been demolished to improve the road junction. (fn. 10)
RICHMOND (St. Mary), a borough, market-town, and parish, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 44 miles (N. W.) from York, and 234 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 3992 inhabitants. The town and castle seem to have been founded in the reign of William the Conqueror, by his nephew Alan Rufus, upon whom he bestowed the whole district, with the title of Earl, and who gave the place the name of "Rich Mount," indicating, it is presumed, the value he attached to it. The district had previously belonged to the Saxon Earl Edwin, and the charter, for dispossessing him of his Yorkshire estates, and conferring them on Alan, was granted at the siege of York, in 1069. The castle appears to have been impregnable, from its situation and immense strength, but was suffered to fall into decay at an early period, as when Leland wrote his Itinerary, in the reign of Henry VIII., it was in a state of ruin. It has recently been repaired and restored, under the superintendence of Captain Hampton, who has been guided in this important and very difficult undertaking, by a drawing made about the reign of Henry III., and not long since discovered among the Harleian manuscripts. The town, in Leland's time, still retained its walls; but the three gates called French, Finkel, and Bar gates, had been destroyed. The discovery of a great number of Roman silver coins near the castle, in 1720, led to the conjecture that the town is of Roman origin, but there is no further confirmation of the opinion.
Capital Burgesses: Nathaniel French Nicholl Wood Thomas Morgan Joseph Wheeler Samuel Dimond Thomas Bourue William Morgan John Homfray Phillip Woolcott
41 Gillow, Haydock Papers, 60. Richard Woodcock, who died in 1633, at Walton-le-Dale, held the moiety of the Bank Hall in Broughton and lands there; his son James was twenty-five years old; Duchy of Lanc Inq. p.m. xxix, no. 63. Edward French and Anne his wife in 1651 asked for an examination of their title to Bank Hall, the estate being sequestered for the recusancy and delinquency of Woodcock and Crook. Anne was daughter of James, eldest son of Richard Walton, who had married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of William Garstang of Broughton, which William had purchased the estate; Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 2909. If true this would carry the sale of Bank Hall into the 16th century.
704. Ordered That Ann Addes a Poor Child of this Parish be bound apprentice to John [recte Thomas] Sears of the parish of Westham in the County of Essex Baker and that Mr. John Davis the Churchwarden do pay him forty shillings with her. [See 687, 710]. 705. Ordered That Susannah Twitchell aged 13 years a poor Child of the Parish of St. John at Hackney in the County of Middlesex be bound apprentice to Joseph French of the parish of St. Saviour in Southwark Pin Maker and that Mr. John Davis the Churchwarden do pay forty shillings with her and also twenty shillings towards cureing her of a Scorbutical Humour and that she have the usual Clothing. [See 710]. 710. Allowed an Indenture of Apprenticeship whereby Susannah Twitchell a poor child of the parish of Hackney was bound to Joseph French of the parish of St. Saviour in Southwark pin maker and also one other Indenture whereby Ann Addes a poor Child of the said parish was bound to Thomas Seares of the parish of Westham in the County of Essex Baker. [See 687, 704, 705].
65. It was held for the payment of 1d. yearly and suit at the court of Mowsley: C 142/116/100. A fine of 6d. is regularly entered in 16th-cent. Mowsley ct. rolls paid at views of frankpledge there by the tithing-man of Laughton (from c. 1558 onwards this was Wm. Ruddington) on behalf of Ric. Franklin and John French who owed suit of court: D.L. 30/81/1112 (1531); /1117 (1558); /1119 (1562); /1120 (1564-5); /82/1122 (1571); /1123 (1574-5); /1124 (1587-8).
The house at Bull's Cross called the Manor House, which belonged in 1911 to Gen. Sir John French (1852–1925), later field-marshal and earl of Ypres, had no connexion with Goldbeaters. (fn. 6)
524. Ordered That Elizabeth Harris aged 14 years a poor Child of this parish do go upon liking to Joseph French [Joseph French deleted] of the parish of St. Mary Magdalen Bermondsey pin maker.
Farming On The Arnold Charity Estate. After the trustees appointed by Edmund Arnold's will took over the Furtho estate following the death of Lady Etheridge in January 1692, (fn. 71) they initially retained the services of John Buncher, who occupied the farmhouse and some of the land himself, collected rents from other tenants, and paid rates, taxes, quit rents and other disbursements before remitting the balance to the trustees. (fn. 72) In 1702 Buncher left and was replaced by William How, (fn. 73) who in 1703 was granted a lease of the entire manor for seven years at £176, (fn. 74) although he actually paid £206, which represented the trustees' gross income. (fn. 75) How was succeeded by Samuel Mason in 1713, still at a rent of £206. (fn. 76) Mason was followed by Thomas French, who was granted a 21-year lease from 1725 at £226. (fn. 77) By 1740 the trustees were trying to remove French, who was said to be 'cutting and mangling the estate in a most vile & scandalous way'. (fn. 78) In 1742 he assigned the remainder of his lease to William Church, a Potterspury butcher, and John Alexander, (fn. 79) who lived at the farmhouse and was given a deputation as gamekeeper. (fn. 80) Church and Alexander were granted a new seven-year lease in 1746, still at £226, (fn. 81) which was renewed on the same terms in 1753, 1759 and 1767. (fn. 82) All the early 18th-century leases included covenants limiting the acreage that could be ploughed: those of 1759 and 1767 allowed the lessees to plough up to 100 a., arranged so that no more than 56 a. was in tillage at any one time. (fn. 83) There were 54 a. of arable in 1748. (fn. 84)
Travell died in 1724 leaving his political interests to his widow Frances (d. 1732), from 1727 wife of John Gordon, earl of Sunderland (d. 1733). (fn. 90) William Sclater, nephew and heir of William Sclater, succeeded to part of Travell's interest and continued to secure the return of the Tory Michael Harvey. In 1734 Sclater, presumably with the concurrence of the other Travell heirs and with the influence of Harvey, was able to ensure the return of Thomas Medlycott the younger and Harvey against Thomas Medlycott the elder and another. At the election of 1741 the younger Medlycott and Jeffrey French were returned after a contest, French perhaps already having bought the former Travell interest from Harvey and Anna Maria Wyatt. (fn. 91) At that date it was not clear whether Medlycott or his opponents had a majority of the nine burgages. (fn. 92) Medlycott lost his seat to Harvey at a by-election in 1742 after he had accepted office, but he determined to regain it for he was a 'parliamentary beggar' dependent upon politics for his livelihood. (fn. 93) Sclater was still owner of part of Wick manor and of at least one capital burgage. (fn. 94) The election of 1747 produced a double return, Medlycott and Charles Churchill being eventually declared the winners. Harvey and French, returned by one presiding bailiff, claimed that their opponents had been returned only by a deputy bailiff, a common day labourer employed in Medlycott's garden. (fn. 95) Before 1746 Michael Harvey (d. 1748) had been forced to mortgage his Milborne property to Peter Walter the elder (d. 1746). (fn. 96) Peter and Edward Walter succeeded to the estates of their grandfather, Peter Walter, and in 1753 also acquired French's interest in the borough. (fn. 97) The younger Peter died in 1753 leaving his property to his brother Edward (fn. 98) and for the next five elections until 1772 the Medlycotts and Edward Walter shared the seats with a 'good deal of skirmishing at election times'. In 1772 each patron offered the single vacant seat to a candidate, and in 1774 there were three separate returns because the election took place at the time the bailiffs changed office. (fn. 99) One of the successful candidates, Temple Luttrell, proved an opponent of the government and much money was spent to induce Walter to dispose of his interest to Medlycott, provided Medlycott undertook to support government candidates. (fn. 1) The election of 1796 was complicated by the intervention of two Whig adventurers and the victory of Henry William Paget, Lord Paget, heir to the earl of Uxbridge, and Sir Robert Ainslie, a Medlycott relative, cost Lord Uxbridge well over £3,000 and Medlycott something for entertainment. (fn. 2) Two years later, and again in 1812 and 1819, Medlycott leased some of his estate including his four capital burgages to the Pagets, (fn. 3) thus leaving Pagets in total control until 1818 (fn. 4) when the Whig borough-monger William Henry Vane, earl of Darlington, supported two candidates in opposition, apparently at the instigation of John Henning, one of the town's glove manufacturers. The Pagets were again successful but they, Medlycott, and Darlington seem to have started a building programme for potential voters (fn. 5) and in 1819 Darlington began to build Newtown in order to increase the number of voters from the 96 accepted in 1818 by c. 80. (fn. 6) In 1820 the Pagets built Waterloo Crescent, named to record the earl of Uxbridge's part in the battle. (fn. 7) Two radical Whigs in 1818 had spoken of the thraldom of 'Meddlycoats, Turncoats, and any other coats'; the Paget candidates were successful in 1820 but 37 special constables had been sworn to prepare for trouble at the election, and the annual audit dinner that year cost Lord Anglesey over £104. (fn. 8) Darlington had to admit defeat and in 1824 sold his interest to Anglesey, who also renewed his lease of the Medlycott houses in the borough. (fn. 9) Thereafter, although Newtown and Waterloo Crescent came to be known by opponents as Blue Town and Rotten Row, Lord Anglesey easily controlled elections until the borough lost its franchise under the Reform Act of 1832. In the following year he sold furniture from several houses in the borough including stools and cups 'which were used at the election dinners'. (fn. 10)
The church papers at Chester diocesan registry begin in 1720, when John Smith was licensed to Great Harwood and Langho. Four years later a separate minister was assigned to Langho, and the list of incumbents from that time is as follows:— John Fleming French, 1901
Joshua Johnson's Letterbook 1771-1774: Letters from a merchant in London to his partners in Maryland (1979), pp. 163-81.
Church Life. The first incumbent, Peter French, was reckoned to be the leading Evangelical clergyman in the diocese, and served the cure for 47 years, during which time he overcame 'a great deal of hostility' for introducing 'a new order of things'. (fn. 11) By 1850 he had three curates including his son Thomas Valpy French, later the first bishop of Lahore (in modern Pakistan). (fn. 12) Peter French instituted in 1824 a monthly communion service, at which average attendance in 1829 was 60; (fn. 13) the congregation on Census Sunday 1851 numbered 398 in the morning and 663 in the evening. (fn. 14) William Drury, French's successor (1871-1903), introduced a surpliced choir by 1885; (fn. 15) he also inaugurated an early morning May day service for working men which persisted until 1919. (fn. 16) 10 S.R.O., D. 5081/3/45; H. A. Birks, Life and Corresp. of Thos. Valpy French (1895), i. 4; Underhill, Burton, 163, 174; Staffs. Advertiser, 21 Oct. 1871, p. 7. 11 Birks, Life of French, i. 3; Staffs. Advertiser, 21 Oct. 1871, p. 7; 1 July 1882, p. 3. 12 P.O. Dir. Staffs. (1850), 229; Birks, Life of French. 13 S.R.O., D. 4220/1/16, f. 9v.; S.H.C. 4th ser. x. 112. 14 P.R.O., HO 129/375/4/2/5. 15 L.R.O., A3/V/3/4, notes on Holy Trinity; Crockford's Clerical Dir. (1911), 433; Birks, Life of French, ii. 318. 16 Lich. Dioc. Mag. (1896), 111; (1897), 91; Burton Daily Mail, 1 May 1919, p. 3.
The manor or manor-farm of East-Combe, alias Nether-Combe, (containing 272 acres,) passed for several centuries with the manor of Greenwich, and became at the same time a part of the Royal demesnes. In 1613, it was settled on Anne of Denmark for life (fn. 113) . Charles I. in 1631, granted it for three lives to John Cooke, and Thomazine his wife (fn. 114) . In 1636, the King, in consideration of the great damage which the said lessees had received by a breach of the Thames wall, granted them a farther lease of 31 years, after the decease of three nominees (fn. 115) . The same year (1636), John Cooke assigned his interest in both these grants to Peter Fortree, Gent. (fn. 116) When the Crownlands were seized and surveyed in 1649, Leah, widow of Mr. Fortree, was in possession of the lease. In 1650, the estate was sold (subject to her interest therein) to Thomas French, Esq. (fn. 117) At the Restoration the see reverted to the Crown. James Fortree, son of Peter, had a new lease in 1663 (fn. 118) ; which, in 1665, he assigned to James Hayes, Esq. In 1691, Grezilla, widow of James Hayes, joined with John her son, and Elizabeth her daughter, in an assignment to Ralph Sanderson, Esq. to whose family the lease was several times renewed. Lady Sanderson (relict of Sir William Sanderson, Bart.), since deceased, had a renewal in 1772, for nine years, to commence in 1793. She left, by will, her interest in this lease to the Right Hon. Frederic Montagu, who assigned it to the late John Campbell, Esq. Lord Lyon King of Arms for Scotland, in whose representatives the lease is now vested.
1600/1 2 Mar FRENCH two still borne children of John ffrench.
1601 7 Apr John FRENCH the sonne of John ffrench.
1601 29 Jul Godlie FRENCH the wife of Thomas ffrench.
1602 19 Aug Elizabeth FRENCH the daughter of John french.
1602/3 25 Mar John FRENCH the sonne of John french.
1606 22 Nov Elizabeth FRENCH the wyfe of John ffrench.
1609 18 May John FRENCH
1609 24 May Anne FRENCH widdow of John ffrench.
1609 29 Jun Ann FRENCH dawght of Robert ffrench.
1609 12 Jul FRENCH ffrenche's widdow.
1616 25 Nov John FRENCH a poore man.
1619 4 Jul Widowe FRENCH a poore woman.
1634 30 Mar John FRENCH the sonne of Thomas French.
1634/5 17 Mar FRENCH ye dhylde of Thomas French not Baptized.
1636 20 Aug John FRENCH of Boughton Munchelsy that was drowned.
1694 27 Aug Samuel FRENCH
1597/98 30 Jan William FRENCHE the sonne of Robert ffrenche.
1599 23 Aug Jone FRENCHE ye wyfe of John ffrenche ye yonger.
1609 31 Mar Bennet FRENCHE the wiffe of John ffrenche
Essex Section of BoydÕs Marriage Index
Microfilm of Essex section of Boyd's Marriage Index, 1660-1837, compiled from Registers; separate sections for men and women, alphabetically arranged on alternate pages (reversed)
In Main Series. 381 Parish indexes and one Meeting of Society of Friends.
Approximately 94% of county.
Some Parishes, for the period 1801-1837, are included in the Miscellaneous Series.
Aveley (Banns) 1726-1800
Great Baddow 1543-1752
Little Baddow 1559-1753
Great Bardfield 1662-1753
Little Bardfield 1539-1753
Beaumont (Moze) 1567-1753
Belchamp Otten 1578-1837
Belchamp ST. Paul 1578-1837
Belchamp Walter 1560-1837
North Benfleet 1573-1752
South Benfleet 1573-1752
Little Bentley 1558-1752
West Bergholt 1561-1753
Great Birch 1560-1753
Bowers Gifford 1559-1812
Great Braxted 1559-1753
Little Braxted 1730-1753
Great Bromley 1559-1753
Little Bromley 1539-1753
Helion Bumpstead 1559-1837
Steeple Bumpstead 1689-1837
Mount BURES 1558-1753
Burnham on Crouch 1559-1870
Great Burstead 1559-1761
Little Burstead 1679-1750
Great Canfield 1538-1812
Little Canfield 1561-1837
Great Chesterford 1586-1837
Little Chesterford 1559-1837
Chignal ST. James 1725-1812
Chignal Smealey 1650-1750
Great Chishall 1583-1837
Little Chishall 1579-1806
Great Clacton 1543-1754
Little Clacton 1538-1752
All Saints, Colchester 1609-1754
ST.Boltolph, Colchester 1560-1688
Holy Trinity, Colchester 1696-1753
ST. James, Colchester 1653-1754
ST. Leonard , Colchester 1542-1751
ST. MARY, Colchester 1661-1754
ST. MARY Magdalene, Colchester 1721-1753
ST. Nicholas, Colchester 1541-1754
ST. Peter, Colchester 1611-1754
ST. Runwald, Colchester 1599-1760
Earls Colne 1559-1753
Colne Engaine 1629-1754
Wakes Colne 1605-1836
White Colne 1561-1658, 1708-1759
East Donyland 1731-1754
Great Dunmow 1558-1837
Little Dunmow 1551-1837
Dunton Waylett 1538-1752
Good Easter 1538-1837
High Easter 1654-1837
Great Easton 1561-1837
Little Easton 1559-1837
North Fambridge 1556-1755
Grays Thurrock 1674-1753
Great Hallingbury 1538-1837
Little Hallingbury 1710-1753
East Ham 1695-1803
West Ham 1653-1800
East Hanningfield 1538-1753
South Hanningfield 1661-1701
West Hanningfield 1558-1787
Hatfield Broad Oak 1662-1753
Hatfield Peverel 1673-1753
Hazeleigh 1589-1634, 1737-1748
Castle Hedingham 1558-1754
Sible Hedingham 1599-1837
Great Henny 1695-1837
Great Holland 1547-1754
Great Horkesley 1558-1836
Little Horkesley 1568-1835
Horndon on the Hill 1628-1751
West Horndon 1560-1751
Little Ilford 1539-1753
Kelvedon Hatch 1561-1837
Kirby le Soken 1681-1754
Laindon Hills 1690-1752
High Laver 1616-1753
Little Laver 1541-1812
Magdalen Laver 1557-1753
Layer Marney 1742-1754
Great Leighs 1560-1837
Little Leighs 1680-1837
All Saints, Maldon 1558-1754
ST. MARY, Maldon 1575-1754
ST. Peter, Maldon 1556-1709
Great Maplestead 1697-1754
Little Maplestead 1691-1755
Marks Tey 1562-1753
West Mersea 1625-1753
Mile End 1674-1754
Cold Norton 1541-1754
Black Notley 1570-1754
White Notley 1539-1837
Great Oakley 1559-1754
Little Oakley 1558-1753
North Ockendon 1571-1837
South Ockendon (Extr) 1562-1700
Chipping Ongar 1560-1749
High Ongar 1539-1773
Great Parndon 1548-1753
Little Pamdon 1622-1745
Ramsden Bellhouse 1565-1753
Ramsden Crays 1572-1753
Beauchamp Roding 1688-1751
Berners Roding 1538-1837
High Roding 1538-1837
White Roding 1547-1837
ST. Osyth 1674-1754
Great Saling 1732-1837
Little Saling 1561-1837
Little Sampford 1565-1754
Shellow Bowells 1553-1837
South Shoebury 1705-1751
Great Stambridge 1559-1754
Little Stambridge 1659-1754
Stanford Rivers 1538-1837
Stansted Mountfitchet 1558-1837
Stapleford Abbots 1654-1766
Stapleford Tawney 1558-1752
Stock Harward 1563-1754
Stondon Massey 1708-1752
Stow Maries 1561-1750
Great Tey 1559-1753
Little Tey 1671-1753
Marks Tey 1562-1753
Theydon Bois 1718-1837
Theydon Garnon 1558-1837
Theydon Mount 1564-1810
Grays Thurrock 1674-1753
Little Thurrock 1654-1754
West Thurrock 1668-1751
East Tilbury 1627-1754
West Tilbury 1567-1753
Tolleshunt D'Arcy 1582-1853
Tolleshunt Knights 1696-1747
Tolleshunt Major 1561-1753
Great Totham 1559-1753
Little Totham 1559-1744
Great Wakering 1685-1753
Saffron Walden 1559-1837
Waltham Abbey 1563-1754
Great Waltham 1704-1755
Little Waltham 1539-1754
Walton le Soken 1688-1753
Great Warley 1539-1753
Little Warley 1538-1750
North Weald 1557-1754
South Weald 1540-1753
Wendens Ambo 1540-1837
Wendon Lofts 1678-1837
Wennington 1652-1664, 1712-1814
Wethersfield 1681-1682, 1701-1752
Wicken Bonhunt 1590-1837
Wickham Bishops 1663-1754
Wickham ST. Paul 1609-1837
Great Wigborough 1560-1750
Little Wigborough 1592-1812
Willingale Doe 1705-1837
Willingale Spain 1576-1837
Woodham Ferrers 1559-1753
Woodham Mortimer 1664-1754
Woodham Walter 1565-1753
Great Yeldham 1560-1753
á 1598 - Thomas French of Halstead, Sir Robert Gardener, George Sawell of Knight of Shimpling, Suffolk. ÒJemynghamsÓ (10 ac) between the lane to Parsonage bridge (W) and land of Thomas French, abutting on land of Francis Hunwick and rivers in Halstead, 1 Aug 1598, D/DHt/T 119/9. FFA Chart #EB.
á 1607 - Will of William French of Peldon, yeoman, 1607.
á 1607 - Court record of 27 Mar 1607 recognizances of Anthony Basey of Little Waltham, yeoman, and William Frenche of Felsted, husbandman, for John Lorde of the same, clother, to perform the order heretofore set down by Sir Ralph Wiseman and Sir Henry Maxey, knts, touching the keeping of the base man-child born of the body of Rose Gipps whereof he is the reputed father. Q/SR 179/40.
á 1612 - William French, Thomas Pilgryme a yeoman, and William Baylyfe alias Smyth a tailor, were all of Halstead. French to keep the peace toward Richard Harrold, Court Record Q/SR 199/127 at the Essex Record Office, 5 Jun 1612. FFA Chart #EB.
á 1614 – Agnes French, of Halstead, widow of Thomas French, lease on 28 Nov 1614, John Sotherton, Baron of the exchequer D4, Scite of manor of East Mersea for 25 pounds a year and a dozen mallard to be delivered at Stanstead Hall, D/DHt/T 182/8, FFA Chart #EB.
á 1617 - Court record of 5 Jun 1617 recognizances of William Frenche, weever, Nathan Wade grocer, both of Halstead, and John Diglett of Colne Engaine miller, Frenche to answer. Q/SR 218/45. FFA Chart #EA.
á 1620 - Thomas French of Halstead, feoffment (a grant of ownership of freehold property to someone used in the English Middle Ages), Sir Oliver Luke, Sir Henry Maxey, Robert Cooke, Esq., and Nicholas Spencer, Manor of Stanstead Hall, Halstead, 1 Nov 1620, D/DHt/T119/81 and D/DHt/T119/60. FFA Chart #EB.
á 1628 - Court record of 8 Oct 1628 recognizances of John Ellingham, William French, and Henry Ellingham, weaver; John to keep the peace to Elizabeth Evans; all of Foxearth. Q/SR 264/61. FFA Chart #EA.
á 1636 - A deed recording of 14 Jul 1636 shows Thomas Pilgrim of Frating, yeoman, Court Record D/DU 161/154 at the Essex Record Office. Frating is a town where various members of the French family lived. Thomas Pilgrim was the son of Robert and Anne Pilgrim of Copford, born before 1612.
á 1636 - Will of William French of Purleigh, yeoman, 1636.
á 1640 - Will of William French of Finchingfield, husbandman, 1640.
á 1642 – Recognizance of Tho. Hickman bailiff, John Millar yeoman and tho. French labourer, Hickman to keep the peace to Robert Bush bailiff, all of Halstead, 21 May 1642, Q/SR 317/66.
á 1649 – Indictment of Margt. Willowes of Halstead spinster there in the house of Henry French yeoman gave birth to a female bastard whom she pur into Òa holeÓ in Òan open yardÓ which she died of cold, etc. Pleads not guilty. Witnesses: John Letch, Thomas Greene, Elizabeth Wood, Alice French, Math. Wood, 1 Jan 1649, T/A 418/136/45.
á 1650 – Henry French of Halstead being accused of begetting a bastard child of his maid servant now in prison, which child is supposed to be made away by them, 16 Jul 1650, Q/SR 345/40.
George French and Jane his wife
Edward French and Maud his wife
Hugh French and Elizabeth his wife
Robert French and his wife
Emma French, widow
Elizabeth French, widow