French Family Association
Mara French, P.O. Box 1109, Sutter Creek, CA 95685-1109. 209-267-0649 firstname.lastname@example.org
Chart #1, Thomas French of Assington
This chart updated by Mara French on 2/21/08. Return to FFA Home Page.
(c) Copyright 1999, 2007 by Mara French. All files on this website are copyrighted by their submitter and creator. They may be linked to, but may not be reproduced on another website or in any other form without specific permission of the submitter, owner, publisher and this site moderator. Although public records are as such not copyrightable, the manner in which they are presented, including the notes, comments, etc. are. The information on this site is provided free of charge for your personal use only.
Assington is a village and civil parish in the Babergh district of Suffolk, England, near Sudbury. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 371. AssingtonÕs boundary also included Bures St. Mary and came within 3 miles of Halstead when the Gurton family owned most of Assington  . IÕve been to Assington 3 times up until 1994.
Thomas French crossed the ocean with John Winthrop Jr. to start a new colony. He sailed on the ship "Lion" and came to Boston. His family was from Assington of the Hundredth Babergh in Suffolk County, England, where they had resided since approximately 1274. John Winthrop called Thomas "his scholar" in a letter dated on March 3, 1632 or 1633. Thomas was a land owner and tailor by trade.
1. Row houses in Assington. Very few houses remained in 1994 when I took these photos.
2-3. Entering Assington from different directions.
4-5. Shoulder of Mutton Restaurant serving Greene King and Fine Ales, and other small stores such as the Post Office with red sign above door. Not many stores existed in 1994.
Photo taken in 1907.
Cootes Corner ca. 1960
The Old Forge, ca. 1965
Partridge End cottage is a pretty part thatched part tiled grade II listed building set in approximately a quarter acre of its own grounds and surrounded by open fields to the front and orchards to the rear. The orchards have country walks going through them around a lake and you can walk through them to the main village of Assington, which has an excellent farm shop, which sells fresh vegetables, dairy produce, frozen food, etc.; itÕs also the Post Office. There is also a pub which serve good 'pub grub'. Sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms. 3 reception rooms. Call 01634 250251. Website
Assington Mill lies in one of SuffolkÕs secret valleys. This is the most likely site for the mill mentioned in the Domesday Book, and again in historic records for 1588. The former watermill stopped working in 1868 when the squire Ōtook the water for his own purposesĶ, and the miller was forced to acquire a second-hand windmill, which came from Sudbury. The farm now consists of 10 semi-derelict buildings, and 86 acres of farmland. The buildings are being restored one by one at the moment. Website
Alfred Dupont, founder of Dupont Bros. was from Assington.